September 03, 2010

Act da Fool



I try not to like something just because it's already glowing with a haze of "cool" or because the name behind it has done lots of "cool shit" in the past. I'm talking about Harmony Korine, the dude responsible for Kids and Gummo, who would not be the most obvious choice for a well-known fashion house when making a film to promote a particular collection. But Jack McCullough and Lazaro Hernandez of Proenza Schouler DID choose him, and the resulting 8mm collaboration called Act da Fool is one of the most refreshing and inspiring so-called "fashion films" I've seen lately.



The narrative alone is brilliant, floating over images of jaded teen girls passing the time in their Nashville neighborhood on traintracks and deserted parking lots, forties in hand. You almost forget that this whole thing is about clothes, Proenza's Fall 10 collection in particular, which I almost like more now after seeing this film. In a Q&A on proenzaschouler.com, Harmony talks about how the patterns and paint drips in the collection spoke to him, saying "go fuck up the world, burn shit, blow it up..." These girls definitely portray that attitude, and if something this raw and close to real can sell clothes, I've regained faith in this industry.

7 comments:

STOP IT RIGHT NOW said...

EXCUUUSE ME? did you say leather-tee-dress?! how did i not see that? i would have gotten that instead!!!

joy said...

I also posted about this in the vein of liking Korine's work rather than Proenza Schouler's work. Now I am giving Schouler's work more of a look see.

JD
iplayfaves.blogspot.com

Maria said...

had to post this! I am not even sure if I like it but at least it gives me some emotions you know.

apparellel said...

i just love harmony korine, he is so talented. thanks for posting this!

xxx
t

GREEDS said...

Pure talent, skill and creativity. I love this.

http://www.itsgreeds.blogspot.com

Samantha Smikle said...

love thisss!! posted about it from seeing it here too! i could watch it over and over!
s
x

etoilee8 said...

I had mixed feelings about this one but then I decided to stop being an old grump and the video won me over.