May 22, 2009

Beehives and Pinecones

I honestly don't know much about New Zealand fashion but apparently I should know about Zambesi, one of the most influential labels to come out of the country, started before I was even born. They were among the first labels in NZ to establish a strong local identity, pushing the innovative relationships between fabric and function, often echoeing the landscape of the rugged coastal country. For Fall 09, my favorite pieces were those that drew inspiration from nature- the patterns found in pinecones and beehives specifically. While cut-outs have been done to death, I am really into this more directional approach, using materials like leather and suede to create a stronger form.






Zambesi is mostly stocked in New Zealand and Australia, but available online at General Cucumber. Elizabeth Charles in SF + NYC carries some of the line as well.

No comments: