November 12, 2009

I am Iron Man

There are some artists who seem like they knew from the moment they picked up their first crayon that they had a story to tell. Mark Newport creates work centering around his fascination with superheroes. His hand knit costumes combine the idea of their heroic, ultra masculine personas with the protective gestures of his mother- sweaters she made to keep him warm during the long New England winters.



Using techniques and color choices he learned from his mother, Mark creates life-size, wearable objects of art that challenge the stereotypical muscular form of the hero, allowing someone to imagine themselves as a real-life hero. Some are characters we all know well like Spiderman and Batman, but others like The Sweatermen, Every-Any-No Man, and Bobbleman are heroes Mark invented himself.



Seeing Mark's learned talent for knitting, I'm hoping he explores other wearable heroic ideas, but in the meantime, I'm ready for my custom-made hero knit jumpsuit, so call me Mark!

10 comments:

yui said...

OMG LOVE!!!!!

also that fingertothumb ring u posted is nice, doesnt it sort of remind u of mcqueens fingerwrist bracelets in his latest collection?

holly fluxx said...

yah those suits look amazing

me melodia said...

my heart is fluttering.

these are so fantastic!

amythewolf said...

hahah wow. i know someone who would totally buy these.. i kinda want to wear them all to bed, all at once, in a cabin in the middle of nowhere in the dead of winter. wow. that was mad creepy.

Teresa said...

Ahhh... footie pajamas! I would love to wear this and freak out my significant other.

A La Mode said...

Woahhhh these are killer!

Unknown said...

he's teaching at cranbrook : )

Devon said...

Awesome designs!


x

OnePerfectMorning said...

this is absolutely freaking awesome. the sweater man? yeah!

Wends said...

wearing the skin of heroes, appealing!
adding you to my blog list

x