January 12, 2010

Fire and blood

Color theory has always been a topic of interest to me, and there's a reason why it's taught in art school. People often have colors they like to wear predominantly, usually because they evoke a certain mood or compliment their specific features. Red was never a color I was drawn to though. I felt it washed out my already fair skin, pale eyes and hair and the color just plain makes me nervous. Lately though, I've started to find myself drawn to it in small doses, be it a pair of shoes, a swipe of fire engine red eyeliner, or an accessory. Red gives off a vibe of power and strength- it's highly visible and takes a bit of confidence to wear. After a long search, I found the perfect shade of red lipstick....for me at least. It's made by Sephora and it's got just a hint of orangey undertone (the shade is called "It Girl"...go figure).



I'm building up quite a rad collection of graphic sweaters, mostly thanks to Mishka who this gun pop art sweater is by. This is the reddest thing in my closet now.



A few more pretty red people and things that have been on my mind lately...


top row: Yohji Fall 2009; bottom row: Comme des Garcons Spring 2010


Zero + Maria Cornejo horse hair necklace; S***r shoes via Far Fetch

This girl really pulls off the bright red sweater. Having equal parts black Prada boots works wonders in balancing out the outfit.

I came across these nails via uuiuu and am so into it. I just want to sit down at the manicure table and order up a "red polka dot french manicure please." I'd love to replicate them myself if I ever find the patience and steady hand.


Some red socks peaking out of the tops of some boots is a good way to wear just a little of the color. These are by Henrik Vibskov from Far Fetch. And lastly, the blood drip Ann-Sofie Back sunglasses by Sheefun. I started getting excited before I even knew they were attainable. They're getting restocked soon at Stand Up Comedy in Portland!

10 comments:

Hal E. Liebling said...

girl i had a heart attack when i saw the comme des garcons red leather cropped jacket with the strap. I NEED THAT. and that lipstick looks great on you!

http://www.halcoholic.com

Hal E. Liebling said...

oh BTW, I linked you! xo

THE DIVINITUS said...

i like red in large amounts.
cool sweater on one of those pictures.

Andrew said...

I really want to wear an ALL red outfit, but I'm not sure I could do it...

I absolutely love the harness though. I was never much into harnesses but now I feel like I might need one

Ally said...

LOVE that lipstick on you. I wish I could do red like this lady:

http://www.melbournestreetfashion.com/cpg149/displayimage.php?album=114&pos=5

nmacleod said...

So amazing, want so badly to get my hands on some great red pieces.

A La Mode said...

Wow that red jumper with the prada boots is seriously amazing!

dustydress said...

so on my last day in the states, I went into sephora and tried on EVERY red/orangey red lipstick they had from every brand they had only to fail in finding one. where was the one you tried on i ask myself. the ones that got close were one from kat von d (too shiny for my taste) and an amazing lip-color from stilla called Outrageous- it was more orange then red but incredibly matte. is the one you're wearing matte? i'll have to have my cousin mail it to me if it is.
needless to say, it looks amazing on you.

Amanda said...

yeah it was by the in-house "sephora" brand which in the soho location is huge and near the register. i know you can buy stuff from them online but they don't ship right now outside us and canada. the one i got is fairly matte, maybe a little shine, but it's just right. it's a red that leans closer to the orange family than a vampy red. my friend also found a similar shade that is a tad coral but still red from revlon. good luck!

Rosé Magritte said...

Red is my favourite colour.

Also I have that same H&M ocean dress as you, it's one of my most cherished.