September 17, 2009

The kids I can count on

Now that NYFW is just about wrapped up, I thought I'd pick a few of my fave, more wearable looks for spring. For the most part, I was missing the "WOAH, did I really just see that?" factor which I will inevitably have to hold my breath for until London Fashion Week kicks into gear. I spied a lot of white, sheer, asymmetric tops and dresses, and more cut-outs....I guess not a whole lot of new, but a slight progression of the trends we've gotten used to by this point.

Proenza Schouler
Although the boys had some eye-popping prints in their collection, I most liked the looks that took the idea of shirts tied around the waist, and incorporated it into actual pieces. Those sci-fi bug eye shades are sick and the thick tube necklaces were amazing too (love when jewelry findings are huge).




Rad Hourani
Rad stuck with what he does best which is structured tailoring and skinny pants with unexpected details. I want slinky legs!!


VPL
Victoria Bartlett's spring theme was anatomy, most obvious in the thick twisted knit harnesses (?) referencing the skeletal structure. Her color palette included a lot of soft neutrals and oranges, but had a calming effect with the sheer fabrics overtop of of sequined undergarments.




Zero + Maria Cornejo
Maria keeps it real, with cool, comfortable fashion that has an edge without sacrificing wearability. I love the geometric one-sided sandals and crescent bag. Maria debuted swimwear this season too which I look forward to.


Helmut Lang
Although there's no more Helmut, Nicole and Michael Colovos have continued to push what we come to expect from the label, and are introducing a denim line in the spring which looks promising.


pc: style.com + NY Mag

2 comments:

KP said...

That leather Proenza is the best thing I've ever seen.

Anonymous said...

our tastes are so similar sometimes it's scary.

the vpl knitted ribcage piece is brilliant and so...me! and agreed on NY fashion week missing that it factor...