July 31, 2009

Walking on clouds

A few weeks ago, my friend Leila asked for our expertise on acceptable sandals to wear in this concrete jungle. NYC has a tendency to kill your feet and ruin your shoes, not to mention leave any exposed skin subject to whatever is in the grimy streets. I figured it's too late in the season to do a full on roundup for Leila, but here's one suggestion I can't review until I get my pair, but they look like a pretty good bet, at least in terms of comfort and cost. Made from carpet fiber that's spun into rope, Gurkee sandals seem like a great alternative to thonged rubber flip-flops or the ubiquitous gladiator. I discovered these at Opening Ceremony, where there are limited colors available, but you can find them here and here as well.

2 comments:

Katlin said...

hah, they sell these at a birkenstock here where i live and i saw them the other day and asked my friend if i should buy a pair. they only had a tan like color that seemed a little too hippie crunchy for me. i like that blue pair you posted.

Freda said...

i got a pair of these awhile ago and they are a pretty good pair of monochromatic sandals for the price. plus, they came with that lovely hippie scent...