August 11, 2009

Body sculpture

Any designer whos aesthetic even remotely reminds me of Margiela gets my attention. Design duo Vilsbøl de Arce out of Denmark undeniably live in the world of avant-garde fashion, favoring an often dark palette to highlight dramatic silhouettes and bodysuits with huge padded shoulders (seen recently at Apartment in Berlin). The bodysuits from their fall line bear a striking resemblance to Rainbow Brite and the Color Kids, except they've grown up, moved far away from Rainbow Land, shed their color-coordinated outfits, and opted for black instead! To be fair, there were colored versions of these too for their spring range, but I like the black better (and it fits better with my Rainbow-Brite-all-grown-up metaphor).







The rest of their fall line was amazing too- I'm not going all Gaga on you! Also stunning are the huge pockets, meticulous draping and weaving, and cut-outs created from sharp angles that somehow still look very organic.





Vilsbøl de Arce showed their Spring 2010 collection last week in Copenhagen, and once again included some fun bodysuits. I need to get my hands on some of those slit shorts or pants- I would have liked to have seen the nude pair on a darker skinned model though. Without the contrast, you lose the detail. Tons more great shoulder shapes remind me I need to look into those portable foam pads I mentioned awhile ago.







5 comments:

Ilse said...

oh god. that first piece.
me wanna me wanna me wanna!
you have a lovely blog btw. :>

Anonymous said...

This work is very reminiscent of Margiela. I quite like it.

noirohio vintage said...

i love this!! those shoulders!!
that first girl models for a rad denmark vintage site called Time's Up :http://times-up.dk/

Amanda said...

oh yeah i know of time's up! guess i don't check it enough or i'd have recognized that model too..

Isabel said...

oh wow sorry for copying!
I saw this on dazed